So long ago, I don't remember when【想不起来具体什么时候了,反正很久以前】
That's when they say I lost my only friend【那时,他们说我失去了唯一的朋友】
Well they said she died easy of a broken heart disease【也就是他们告诉我她因为心脏病恶化过去了,(但)她是安详地离去】
As I listened through the cemetery trees【听这话时,我驻足在墓地林间】
I seen the sun comin' up at the funeral at dawn【黎明,我看到太阳从送葬人群中冉冉升起】
The long broken arm of human law【(与此同时),世俗陈规垂着它那长长的(腐朽)断臂】
Now it always seemed such a waste【现今,怎么看都像是一堆废物】
She always had a pretty face【她总是有着漂亮的脸庞】
So I wondered how she hung around this place【所以,我纳闷:她怎么能够在这样的地方游荡?】
Chorus:
Hey, come on try a little【嘿!让我们来试着想想】
Nothing is forever【没有什么是永恒的】
There's got to be something better than
In the middle【那儿肯定有什么比世俗中规更好的东西存在】
But me & Cinderella, 【(当然),除了我和(这位)灰姑娘除外】
We put it all together【(管它那么多!),我们干脆随缘会聚】
We can drive it home
With one headlight【(就)靠着一盏前灯,我们也将会抵达心灵之家园】
She said it's cold【她说天气寒凉】
It feels like Independence Day【感觉像是到了独立日那天】
And I can't break away from this parade【可我不能摆脱这送葬的队列】
But there's got to be an opening
Somewhere here in front of me
Through this maze of ugliness and greed【但就在我眼前,穿越丑陋与贪婪的迷宫,那儿一定别有打开的入口】
And I seen the sign up ahead
At the county line bridge【(这时),我看到一标牌立于我前方的界桥上】
Sayin' all there's good and nothingness is dead【其上有言:那儿一切都美好,万物永驻】
We'll run until she's out of breath【待她逝去后,我们将奔波而去】
She ran until there's nothin' left【而她待了无牵挂后,(也)将去往应属之地】
She hit the end-it's just her window ledge【她拼命跑到尽头——原来那只是她的窗台】
(chorus)
Well this place is old【好了!这地方已经废弃了】
It feels just like a beat up truck【感觉就像一辆被糟蹋蹂躏的货车】
I turn the engine, but the engine doesn't turn【我启动引擎,但毫无反应】
Well it smells of cheap wine & cigarettes【好了!此地弥漫着廉价烟酒的气息】
This place is always such a mess【这地方一如既往地脏乱】
Sometimes I think I'd like to watch it burn【有时,我(禁不住)盼望有人烧了这地方】
I'm so alone, and I feel just like somebody else【我是如此孤身一人,感觉就像不是我自己,而是另外某个人】
Man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same【哥们!我没变,但我知道我已不是从前的那个我】
But somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams【但在梦想已奄奄一息的城市围墙间,就在此处,某个地方】
I think her death it must be killin' me【我感觉她的死肯定在蚕食着我自己】
(chorus)
注:“The Wallflowers”乐队核心人物——Jakob Dylan——Bob Dylan之子。该单曲选自专辑《Bringing Down the Horse》。